Angelika Heim Partner
Angelika Heim (she/her) is a partner at Stohn Hay Cafazzo Dembroski Richmond LLP and represents clients in the business of entertainment, media and digital content. Before joining the firm, Angelika was an associate at Goodman and Carr LLP.
Angelika works closely with clients in the creative industries, advising on transactional matters, disputes and business strategies related to film, television, branded content, talent agreements, music recording and publishing, digital content, book publishing, and intellectual property protection.
Her film and TV clients rely on Angelika to shepherd a production from development to post-production, which can include securing intellectual property rights, negotiating distribution and broadcast agreements, engaging talent, reviewing for errors and omissions, and navigating the funding agencies, financing models and tax credit opportunities both in Canada and with international partners.
Angelika represents a broad spectrum of music clients from emerging artists to JUNO- and Grammy-winning sensations. She also works with independent labels and publishers on engaging talent and organizing the production, licensing, exploitation, and sale of their intellectual property rights.
Angelika’s roots are in the creative industries. Before becoming a lawyer, she worked in the theatre, television, news, film and magazine publishing industries as an actor, producer, director, writer and editor.
Recognized as a leading practitioner of entertainment law by:
- the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory; and
- Woodward/White’s The Best Lawyers in Canada
- Frequent panelist at conferences on film/TV, copyright, music and other entertainment topics, and guest lecturer at universities/ colleges and industry associations across Canada. She has been welcomed to sessions at the Law Society of Ontario, the Ontario Bar Association, Banff International Media Festival, Canada’s Music Incubator, Intellectual Property Institute Canada (IPIC) McGill, Osgoode Hall Law School, and Ryerson University
- Board Member, Canadian Country Music Association and Member of the CCMA Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Board Member, Across the Board, championing equality and inclusion for women in the music industry
- Executive Member, The Music Den, Ryerson University
- Member, Music Industry Anti-Harassment Group, educating and advocating for respectful and harassment-free workplaces in the music industry
- Member and Past Chair, Ontario Bar Association Entertainment, Media and Communications Section
- Former Director and Vice-Chair, Theatre Passe-Muraille
- Called to the Ontario Bar – 2005
- University of Windsor, LL.B. – 2004
- University of Western Ontario, B.A. (Hons.) Theatre and English